Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Mandarin Orange Cake

A few weeks ago we celebrated my husband's birthday and when asked, he requested orange cake. I had never made it before and was a little scared. I immediately called my mother-in-law and she gave me the low down. We had a little celebration at my mom's house and before the party started we baked away. My mom and I added our own little special ingredient and the result was amazing; I had to share it with you! It was a lovely summer evening filled with good food, great beer, and tasty cake!


Orange Cake

1 box of white cake mix
4 eggs
2- 11 oz cans of mandarin oranges with juice
1/2 cup coconut oil (our special ingredient, replacing the vegetable oil)
1- 9 oz carton of frozen whipped topping, thawed
1- 8 oz can of crushed pineapple with juice, strained
1 box instant vanilla pudding

Preheat oven to 360 degrees. Greece two 9-inch cake pans. In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, one can of mandarin oranges with juice, eggs, and coconut oil. Beat until smooth with an electric mixer. Pour into pans and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool in the pans. 

In a bowl, combine whipped cream, strained pineapple and vanilla pudding mix. Use a bigger bowl because the mixture tends to puff up a bit while you are mixin'!

After the cakes are cooled, remove them carefully from the pans. Layer the cakes and frost between the layers and around the whole cake.  Then take the remaining can of mandarin oranges and decorate the top of the cake.  We also added some basil leaves for color, but they ended up tasting good with the cake!


The cake was a huge hit and that's a win in my book! It was also inexpensive and easy, so that helps too!  I hope you make this cake for someone you know this summer because it is the perfect summer cake.  It has lots of flavor and it's not too heavy like a chocolate cake would be. Let us know what you think!

Happy baking!

-Bethany



1 comment: