Saturday, July 27, 2013

{BEER WEEK} Twin Cities Brewery Highlights

Before you read any further we would just like to say thank you.   Thank you to everyone who contributed this week and made Beer Week such a success! Bethany and I could not have been more thrilled for the opportunity to reach out to good friends, learn about beer through great stories and vivid descriptions, and most importantly, share the best people in our lives with our readers.  Cheers to the twenty-something's that continue to inspire us.

PS. Stay tuned for a very important Twenty-Something Friend to finish off Beer Week!

Minneapolis & St. Paul Breweries

612 Brew

612 Brew opened their tap room this February and it is a sight to see.  The fermentation tanks shining in the background and the exposed brick of the historic Broadway building create an old world nostalgia for beer.  The beer is as quality as the setting with several original recipes rotating on tap. With flights, pints, growlers, and tours you can't go wrong.

Boom Island

Boom Island is the brain child of a Belgium beer lover and expert, something evident in the beer.  While they do not have a tap room they offer tastings and sales directly on site Fridays and Saturdays.  You can find their beers on tap or in stores in over 100 establishments around the Minneapolis and St. Paul area.

Indeed

Indeed Brewing is the most up and coming brewery in Minnesota.  It could be the wonderful, free tours they offer or the food trucks they schedule outside their tap room, but something about Indeed Brewing is hip and fresh... including their beer. They have their flagship brews along with seasonals and specialties. They can't be missed

Lucid

Lucid beers are one of the more widely distributed beers out of Minnesota.  This innovative brewery was founded in 2011 by two corporate dudes turned homebrewers, turned business owners. You can find their standard IPA, pale ale, and session beers on tap or in stores across the Midwest.  Tours and growlers are also available at the brewery.

Fulton

Fulton started as four men, a south Minneapolis garage, and a lot of great ideas.  Sweet Child of Vine and Lonely Blonde have become staple brews in the Twin Cities area.  Fulton partners with many community members and local businesses (such as the lovely Peace Coffee), giving their beer meaning with good taste.  They have an outstanding new tap room that offers order-in food from surrounding North Loop restaurants and a rotating food truck schedule.  And, as if they are after my heart, they also serve as a CSA pick-up with Tangletown Garden.  On CSA days they also make growlers available.  Beer and veggies? Yes.  Please.

Flat Earth

Flat Earth is out of St. Paul and they offer quite the selection of beer.  Their five flagship beers can be found several places in the Twin Cities and when the seasons change you could be lucky enough to snag a six-pack of their rotating seasonals.  Tours are often available through out the week so head over and give them a try!

Summit

Summit is a well established brewery in the Twin Cities and one of the first craft breweries in Minnesota.  With their traditional staple, the extra pale ale, and several other regulars and seasonals, Summit has continued their legacy of good beer.  They also offer Friday brewery tours, tastings, and of course, food trucks.

Surly

Surly produces beer in a can for a glass.  Located in Brooklyn Center, Surly has become a well known and sought after brand.  With their Furious IPA being ever so popular they have contracted kegs to everyone from the Twins Target Field to Zorbaz of greater Minnesota.  They have a great new tap room, the ever famous food trucks, and highly recommended tours.  Surly is a Minnesota must.






















Name: Dain Clausen 

Location: Saint Louis Park, MN 

Relation to The Twenty-Something's Table: One of Whitney's best friends from college. 

Favorite Beer: Day Tripper: Indeed Brewing Co. Minneapolis, MN American Pale Ale 

How were you introduced to this beer?  I was introduced at the brewery's tap room! 

Why is it your favorite? Fell in love with the hops and crisp flavor, as well as the fact its a local. Always happy to support the local beer scene in MN. 

What do you like to have with this beer? Anything from the food truck outside.

What is your favorite watering hole? My favorite watering hole could be any of the local tap rooms, you can't beat the atmosphere and the food truck parked outside!




Name: Joy Ebel

Relation to The Twenty-Something's Table: One of Bethany's best friends. 

Location: Rochester, NY

Favorite Beer: Omission, Lager

How were you introduced to this beer? I love beer. Like seriously really love everything about it, but due to some recent health issues I have (begrudgingly) gone gluten free. This is a big problem for an avid beer drinker. I was seriously disappointed after I tried a few gluten free beers (just didn't cut it for me). I didn't recognize the name when I saw a six pack of Omission sitting in the gluten free section of our local grocery store. I thought I would give it a try and that I’m glad I did. 

Why is it your favorite? It tastes so close ti the yummy, gluten filled, hand crafted beers I am used to drinking. Honestly, it wouldn't be my first choice if I wasn’t gluten free, but it is a fantastic and satisfying stand in.

What food do you like to have with this beer? After an active and fun day off today I enjoyed it with a fresh salad and some rice chips and hummus. Perfect summer meal!

What is your favorite local watering hole and why? The Old Toad is my tried and true favorite Rochester place to hang and drink. It has such a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. They have a huge selection of beers and are always switching up what they have on tap. They carry local beer and have great food! Not to mention all of their servers and bartenders are so lovely.

Name: Peter Driessen 

Location: St Anthony Village, MN 

Relation to The Twenty-Something's Table: Bethany's cousin. 

Favorite Beer: Right now? Bad Axe Imperial IPA, although it's a pretty fluid decision. 

How were you introduced to this beer? My dad, Jim Driessen, is a huge beer fan. He started drinking Summit Extra Pale Ale when I was young, and gradually moved on to bigger, hoppier beers. His love of hops was passed down to me, and we love exploring new beer styles and new beers and breweries together. 

Why is it your favorite? I love hops. Hops on hops on hops! 

What food do you like to have with this beer? An IPA is great with a good greasy pizza, but I love them with a Juicy Lucy as well. Many people love to pair IPA's with spicy foods, but I'm a wimp so it's not for me. 

What is your favorite local watering hole and why? I would have to go with the Groveland Tap in St Paul. It is a small, local place with an amazing beer selection. The atmosphere is very laid back, as a neighborhood bar should be, and the happy hour can't be beat. Also, it is close to the University of St Thomas, so there's a pretty big nostalgia factor for me. GO THERE NOW
----------------------------------
Name: Stephanie Driessen 

Relation to The Twenty-Something's Table: Bethany's cousin-in-law. 

Location: St. Anthony, MN 

Favorite Beer: Guinness Draught (in Ireland) or Summit Oatmeal Stout 
How were you introduced to this beer? I studied abroad in Ireland my senior year of college. I had just met this great guy 3 months before I left and prior to leaving he told me I HAD to have Guinness in Ireland. So I did. It was unbelievably wonderful! The Summit Oatmeal Stout was what I replaced Guinness with in college when I returned. Needless to say I ended up marrying that great guy and I can't wait to enjoy a Guinness with him in Ireland someday.

Why is it your favorite? It is smooth, rich and bold tasting, much like two of my other favorite vices: coffee and chocolate. AND, the cool thing about Guinness is it is only 96 calories per pint which makes it one of the "healthier" beers you can drink that doesn't taste like water. "Guinness for your health." Not just a clever slogan!

What food do you like to have with this beer? Beef or a hearty stew. Also fabulous with chocolate cake or a chocolate/hot fudge ice cream sundae.

What is your favorite local watering hole and why? Groveland Tap in St. Paul. Great late night happy hour, they always have Summit Oatmeal Stout on tap and they know how to properly pour a pint of Guinness. It also brings back fond memories of my late college years with my best friends and Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment