Monday, July 22, 2013

{BEER WEEK} Hoppy Beer Week!




You read that right it's BEER WEEK! We are all aware that beer has become so much more than Miller, Budweiser, and Coors. Microbreweries are popping up all over the country, home brew has become popular, and people are genuinely interested in trying all new types of beer!

We wanted to share some of our favorite beers with you this week, along with our friends and family who share our deep love for fine brews!  We both really love a good beer and the memories that can be shared with a cold one.  It was amazing when we reached out to our friends and asked them to help.  Everyone was on board and they were so thrilled to share their favorite beer.

So grab a six pack, tall boy, or a pint and tune in all week.  We can't wait to share facts on beer, stories and favorites from our friends and family, and some of the best places in the Twin Cities and Minnesota to get a great brew.




****

 We wanted to start beer week by telling you about our favorite beers!


{Bethany Joy}



Whereabouts: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Favorite Beer?  Ommegang's Witte Hefeweizen

How were you introduced to this beer? The Old Toad British Pub in Rochester, NY. It was love at first sight.

Why is it your favorite? The color, the smell, the foggy-ness, rich in flavor, and the tall glass it comes in. It is a refreshing summer beer without being your typical summer ale. It has the perfect blend of subtle fruit flavors with a hint of wheat. It's also crisp and full bodied without being a heavy beer; I think it's the perfect beer for all seasons!

What food do you like to have with this beer? I really enjoy pairing it with fish-n-chips.

What is your favorite watering hole and why? My husband and I moved to the Twin Cities about nine months ago and we haven't found our favorite place quite yet, so I will tell you what we left behind in Rochester, NY.

The Old Toad is a authentic British pub filled with beer lovers from around the world. This gem is blocks away from downtown Rochester, New York. On any given night you can walk into this cheerful bar and a warm British welcome, as the staff is part of a hospitality exchange program from England.  The whole decor was shipped over form Great Britain and it was delightful. Ryan (my hubby) and I lived a stones throw away from this heavenly place and would go there quite often; it quickly became our "Cheers" or "MacLaren's". We had some of the most memorable nights of our life at The Toad, meeting new friends and sharing a drink with old ones. I will always treasure our little moment in time spent having pint after pint of delicious brew.






{Whitney Etta}






Whereabouts: Mostly Minneapolis, Minnesota but it's summer so I spend a lot of time home in Detroit Lakes.

Favorite Beer?  Ranger IPA, New Belgium Brewing

How were you introduced to this beer? My Dad.  He is my beer buddy and we have always liked the same types of beer (mostly India Pale Ales).  While we love to get new and different things, some of the smaller liquor stores in Detroit Lakes do not carry a lot of variety. Ranger is our go to and has been ever since I turned 21.  We can often be found on the patio after dinner, drinking brews together, and listening to the loons singing on Franklin Lake.

Why is it your favorite? I like Ranger because it is a well balanced and traditional IPA.  It does not knock you off your feet or have an extra fruity flavor.  It smells like fresh cut grass and has a sharp, hoppy taste; it is pure and simple.  New Belgium also runs a sustainable business model and I think that is groovy.  I have really been enjoying other IPAs such as Lucid's Foto and Hoptopia by Hermitage but I think because I have always shared this beer with my dad, it holds a different place in my heart.

What food do you like to have with this beer? Anything off the grill or my mom always likes to request my shrimp tacos when I'm home and they taste great with a Ranger.

What is your favorite watering hole and why? Well, I am a small town girl at heart so I am going to have to say Zorbaz.  For those of you who are not from Minnesota or do not know the religion that is Zorbaz, let me fill you in.  Zorbaz is a Minnesota, Mexican and pizza chain that can be found on the edge of lakes all over the state.  You can drive up your boat, hop off in a cover-up, flip-flops, and wet hair and enjoy some original pizza and Mexican combos with an ice cold beer.  They have more beer on tap than anyone in the area (one of the only places I can get Surly north of Maple Grove) and the food, while expensive, is worth it.  If you ever make it to Zorbaz order a 420 Burrito, baked with a pint of whatever seasonal the bartender recommends.




Hats off to Beer Week! Love and beer always-

Whit & Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment