Monday, July 22, 2013

{BEER WEEK} Ale


Let beer week begin! Bethany and I enjoyed sharing our favorite beers with you but the people that follow in the next few days have been major influences in our lives and in our beer drinking.  So we are going to let them run the show, because they know what they are talking about.  Each day will feature information on a particular, popular type of beer and then some insight into different beers from new faces.  We hope you fall in love with these wonderful people and beers... I know we have. 

Ale

The Gist 
Ale is beer brewed form malted barely and fermented at room temperature that often contains hops to preserve the beer and off-set the sweetness of the malt.  

Need to Know
Ales ferment at a warmer temperature than lagers and often take only a few days or weeks to ferment.  As opposed to other beers, ales are full bodied and hazier.  Ales have become the most common type of homebrewed beer in the United States due to the range of types and short fermentation.  

Types
Just to name a few... Pale Ale, India Pale Ale, Scotch Ale, and Brown Ale. 

















Name: Mike Hicks
Location: Northeast Minneapolis
Favorite Beer: Red Hook IPA
Type of Beer: India Pale Ale
How were you introduced to this beer? I definitely had this beer in college, I believe the introduction came from my good friend Dain! I can remember getting a variety pack of Red Hook after trying the IPA, and it's been my favorite ever since.
Why is it your favorite? For an IPA, it's not quite as hoppy, and tastes just a little lighter. I like the smooth taste, but can still enjoy the hops flavor. I'm a big fan of IPA's, and I used the Red Hook IPA as an introduction. I consider it an IPA for those who are too scared to try an IPA!
What food do you like to have with this beer? The Red Hook IPA is a refreshing beer, so it's great to drink outside with something grilled. A dynamite burger would be a perfect pairing.
What is your favorite local watering hole and why? I have a couple favorite spots in NE that I love. Stanley's is one. There selection of tap beers is the best, and the prices/people are always friendly. Plus, they have the greatest urinal EVER (see here).
I also recently went to Dangerous Man, and it was awesome. Their tap room is super unique. They make beer. Plain and simple. It's great. You can go for a really good pint, bring your own food, and have a great time. Plus, they don't distribute their beer anywhere else, so you have to go there to see how great it is. Trust me, it's totally worth it!

(So while that Red Hook IPA is definitely one of my favorites, I couldn't find it at the liquor store! Tried four different ones, and I struck out. So here is my next answer to your beer questions, with a picture to follow.  While this may not be my favorite beer to drink, it's one of my favorites to share! Mickey's Malt Liquor comes in little grenades (small bottles), and they have little wuzzles on the inside of each cap. Great for a party, these grenades are easy drinking, and they get you a nice little buzz. Who doesn't love that!  It wasn't a discovery but when we had a six pack party in college, I brought Mickey's to share! It was a fun night, and I remember it with a smile to this day.)





Name: Sami Jo
Location: Brooklyn
Favorite Beer: As of right now it's Crabbies
How were you introduced to this beer? It was a couple of months ago on a hot day and we were at a pub on the river Thames and I wanted something that was light and refreshing. Also the bottle was pretty!
Why is it your favorite? It could be the perfect summer beer! It's best served over some ice!
What food do you like to have with this beer? I mostly drink it on its own but I've had it with Brie and crackers and some fruit and it was divine!

What is your favorite watering hole and why?  My most favorite place in New York will forever and always be the Black Rabbit.  Most of my favorite memories of the last 7 years have been there.  It's my family away from family.  






















Name: Paul Bakalich 

Location: Burnsville, MN 

Favorite Beer: Bells - Two Hearted Ale 

How were you introduced to this beer? I was working at a liquor store one summer in college and was serving samples of Two Hearted Ale. I couldn't help but sample it myself. This was my first introduction to IPAs, and I fell for it immediately! I wound up going home with a 6 pack of Two Hearted that night. 

Why is it your favorite? I like Two Hearted Ale because it was the first beer that got me enthused about beer. It has an excellent balance of body and aroma, and I love the name. 

What food do you like to have with this beer? I like it with anything off the grill... hamburgers, brats, steaks. 

What is your favorite local watering hole and why? I like Caspers Bar & Grill. It is in walking distance if my house, you never have to dress up and it's always a good time.






Name: Taylor Greenwood

Location: Appleton, WI


Favorite Beer: Dogfish Head ~ Indian Brown Ale

A mix of American Brown, Scottish Ale and IPA

How were you introduced to this beer? I was first introduced to this beer at a family gathering. I think it was Christmas a few years back. My brother-in-law usually kept a good stock for the holidays. I drank one and got through it. 4 years later and a lot more experience drinking craft beers I picked it up at the store myself and fell in love. 


Why is it your favorite? The flavor profile induces some type of synesthesia for me. I begin to see paintings with colors blending together beautifully as the suds hit my tastebuds. Sometimes after I've had a few, I hear an orchestra. ;-P. It's all about so many intricate parts coming together to create this one beautiful product. That's why it's my favorite. 


What food do you like to have with this beer? I can eat anything with this beer. Another reason I love it so much. It's not too hoppy that it interferes with my meal. It compliments most things nicely. Best served with a BBQ bacon cheeseburger. 


What is your favorite local watering hole and why? Favorite local watering hole is Stone Cellar Brewpub in Appleton, WI. Most beers served are brewed in house with the occasional guest tap from other craft breweries. The beer is fantastic. They have live music every Tuesday. Their staff is the best in the biz. The other patrons are incredibly kind and everyone is there for beer. The food is created and served with an equal amount of passion and care as their brews. The menu is mostly comprised of organic and grass-fed options. Plenty friendly for vegetarians and vegans too. They have a mug club which patrons can sign up for annually. $35 dollars gets you 24oz glass mug to drink from each time you visit. A considerably larger serving than the traditional pint glass. You receive a free beer each month, and your second beer on Sunday is free. The membership also grants you a free pizza during your birth month. We've been going for 3 years now, and I've joined a band with some previous and current staff and even named one of the brewers our daugther's God Father. There's nothing not to love. Mmmmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment