Wednesday, July 3, 2013

4th of July Cocktails {Red, White, & Blue}



Writing about alcohol for The Twenty-Something's Table is a tough subject for me.  I always border between gushing ridiculously and informally over my new favorite drink or being mature with refined recipes and anecdotes. This dilemma between youth and adulthood seems to follow me everywhere. But, as the 4th of July approaches, I can proudly say that this year I will be leaving one adolescent tradition in the dust as I bypass the Solo cups and the "punch" for tastier cocktails.  

On my recent trip to Chicago I spent my unplugged time in the air dreaming up red, white, and blue cocktails.  With the help of my family, my recipes and ideas came together from scribbled scratches of paper.  In execution, Bethany helped me refine each drink. The results were wondrous.  

Read on for three drinks {Red, White, & Blue} that are perfect for any twenty-something gathering this 4th of July.  These drinks are inexpensive, easy to prepare, and are sure to make your 4th light up like fireworks.  




////Strawberry Gimlet////

Gimlets have always been a summer favorite for me.  The biting lime and slow sipping are perfect for a hot July night. I added fresh strawberries and threw it all in a blender instead of a shaker. This drink is perfect for a small barbecue or bonfire.  

1 package strawberries, washed and stems removed
6 oz Roses lime juice
6 oz vodka
Sugar to taste

Place all ingredients in a large blender.  Blend until smooth.  Pour generously into a martini glass, garnish with a strawberry, and serve immediately.  

Tip: To ensure that the drink is cold chill vodka in the freezer and strawberries and lime juice in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.  

Yields 4 drinks.




////Pinot Punch////

This punch is easy and wicked fast. This drink packs a punch (pun intended) so make sure to sip it slow! 

1 bottle Pinot Grigio (750 ml)
6 oz peach vodka
6 oz pineapple juice

Pour all ingredients into a pitcher and stir.  Serve immediately.  If desired, add ice cubes made of water, pineapple juice, and shaved coconut or coconut water for flavoring (not pictured).  

Yields 4-5 generous servings.  


////Blueberry Ginjito////

Nothing says summer like mojitos and blueberries... so why not put them together? Instead of rum I opted for gin (hence the name) simply because I love it.  The pairing is tasty and unexpected.  The end result is colorful and refreshing, perfect for an evening at the lake.  

1/2 cup blueberries
3-4 leaves of mint 
1/2 Tbls sugar
Juice of half a lime
2 oz gin
Club soda to taste

In a tall glass place blueberries, mint, sugar, and fresh lime juice.  Top with a few cubes of ice and muddle until blueberries are smashed and mint becomes fragrant.  Add gin and shake until sugar becomes syrup with the liquids.  Fill the remainder of the glass with ice and club soda.  Stir and garnish with mint and additional blueberries.  Serve immediately.  

Yields 1 serving.  






Bethany and I hope that you love these patriotic drinks as much as we loved creating, making, shooting, and enjoying them.  If you decide to make some fancy cocktails don't completely forgo all twenty-something staples.  Grab a cold PBR to keep yourself in check.  

Cheers to Uncle Sam and all of our readers! Have a safe and lovely 4th of July!

Love-

Whit

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos! Beautiful outfit! And amaaaazing looking drinks :)

    ReplyDelete