Wednesday, July 24, 2013

{BEER WEEK} Lager



Lager

The Gist
Lager is fermented and conditioned at low temperatures and is the style of beer most consumed around the world.

Need to Know
History and geography together show that breweries around the world were placed near mountains and streams for the cooling process that caves and springs provided.  Even before modern refrigeration- dating back to 1865, lager out did ales in production.  The difference only increased with the invention of refrigeration tanks.  While lagers are the most popular in the beer consumer market they are not that popular in homebrewing as they require large scale and long-term refrigeration, which can be costly on the average homebrewer.

Types
Bock, Pilsner, Marzen, Dunkel, Fruit, and Schwarzbier.



Name: Philip Haugan

Location: Prescott Valley, AZ

Relation to The Twenty-Something's Table: Bethany's youngest big brother. 

Favorite Beer: Summit EPA

How were you introduced to this beer? I probably had one for the first time at a Twins baseball game.

Why is it your favorite? It is my favorite for a couple reasons, one it is brewed in St. Paul MN so I have some home town pride. It also has a great flavor with just enough hops to give it a bite but it is not overbearing.

What food do you like to have with this beer? Summit's EPA is great with anything on the grill. It's good while grilling and even better at the dinner table.

What is your favorite local watering hole and why? In Prescott there is a place called Celts Pub, good food and live music is why I like to go.














Name: Phylicia Christian
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Relation to The Twenty-Something's Table: One of Beth and Whit's best friends and partners in crime from high school. 
Favorite Beer: I feel like I have betrayed 10 of my other favorite beers by choosing just ONE, but I have decided on Engine 15’s Doolittle Saison (runner’s up included Fitger’s Apricot Wheat in Duluth, or Southern Tier’s Pumpking from New York).
How were you introduced to this beer? My husband, Jeremiah, and I have been frequenting a local Brewery called Engine 15 ever since we moved to Jacksonville. When we first started going, they had about 5 core brews on tap, but since then they have come out with a LOT of new beers. I first tried the Doolittle Saison a few months ago and fell in love.
Why is it your favorite? My first beer love was Leinenkugles Sunset Wheat. Although I have grown to enjoy hoppy, bitter beers, I still prefer a sweeter finish. It’s light, but still has complex flavor. The Doolittle Saison starts off sweet, creamy, cloudy, and has a subtle hop flavor with a clean, crisp finish. The beer is SUPER easy to drink, but you have to be careful because of it’s high alcohol percentage – 8.5%
What food do you like to have with this beer? Let’s be honest…I’ll eat anything
What is your favorite local watering hole and why? Engine 15 is my favorite local bar. It’s a small place with a cozy atmosphere. They have small, yet delicious menu (their flatbreads are the best!). But, I think my favorite thing about the bar is Herb and Nola. They are a sweet elderly couple who spend happy hour there every day. I had a delightful conversation with Herb about his wife once. She made the executive decision to switch tables, and he looked at me and said “Have you ever heard that song 'Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets?' Well, that’s like my wife, only her name in Nola.” I was ecstatic because I DID know that old musical theater tune from “Damn Yankees”.  If you follow this link, there is a picture of Herb and Nola on Engine 15’s Facebook from Oktoberfest last year. It’s not the best picture, but I thought it would be fun to share!
Herb and Nola inspire me to grow old with my husband, Jeremiah, and drink delicious brews every day from 4:00-7:00. Cheers!





















Name: Jesse Ziegler 


Location: Navarre, FL 

Relation to The Twenty-Something's Table: Whitney's big brother. Technically he is an in-law but he's been around too long to notice. Jesse was photo bombed by his daughter, the lovely Solveig Grace.  

Favorite Beer: Wild Blue Blueberry Lager 

How were you introduced to this beer? I don't really know. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat used to rank at the top of my list, and somewhere along the line I figured I should try Sweetwater Blue since it was another beer with fruit in it. That was pretty good, but then came along Wild Blue, and the rest is history. 

Why is it your favorite? Wild Blue is my favorite because it has a strong blueberry flavor to it, it goes well with everything and nothing, and it is 8% alcohol by volume. Some people give me grief because my beer has fruit in it, but they respect it when I point out that it is 8%. I drink what tastes good, and Wild Blue tastes great! 

What food do you like to have with this beer? Honestly, it is a good sipping beer. I like to have Wild Blue with good company, or around the grill, or while watching a movie. It goes well with all your traditional 'beer foods:' burgers/brats, chips & dip, steak, chicken... 

What is your favorite local watering hole and why? I'd have to recommend County Line Pizza as my favorite watering hole. They make great pizza, including the only good deep dish around (get the Cheese Overload Deep Dish!), but you can also drink from a vast array of choice beverages. They have 5 or 6 on tap, including your standard bar fare but also a few classier beers, but their real money is in the bottles. Their list is huge! I find its a nice place to try new beers. The bar itself does a good job of mixing restaurant and bar - you can take your kid there and not feel out of place, but you can go out with your friends and have a good time as well.














Name: Joe Carlson
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Relation to The Twenty-Something's Table: A friend of Whitney's from college and an avid follower of the blog. 
Favorite Beer: Leffe Blonde
How were you introduced to this beer? Total luck! I was trying out new beers at the Uptown Bulldog in Minneapolis. Found the Leffe Blonde and I fell in love!
Why is it your favorite? I have recently been really into lighter, easy to drink beers and the Leffe Blonde fits the bill perfectly. I feel refreshed, but not at the expense of an overly sweet beer. It's bitter, but finishes with a light and simple sweetness. I appreciate how the bitterness complements the fruits and spices in the mix. This is a beer that's perfect for anytime of year.  The color of the beer is also very appetizing, its a sunny, golden color, which makes the Blonde easy to spot from across the bar. There are no other beers that glow as brightly!
Leffe Blonde is kind of hard to find, but if a bar serves it, I get it! I prefer the tap as the head is better and it generally tastes smoother.
What food do you like to have with this beer? I'm not one to generally be concerened with food pairing with drinks, but a hearty sandwich with fresh veggies would taste great with a Leffe Blonde!
What is your favorite local watering hole and why? Liquor Lyle's It is the quintessential, perfect neighborhood bar. 70's red vinyl booths, perfect oval bar, backroom full of games, and a awesome jukebox!
Whenever I go to Liquor Lyles, I am reminded of Playboy magazines definition of a dive bar:
"A church for down-and-outers and those who romanticize them, a rare place where high and low rub elbows—bums and poets, thieves and slumming celebrities. It’s a place that wears its history proudly."
Liquor Lyle's has a never ending happy hour. Two for ones every night, including (Friday and Saturday Nights!). The service is great, and the food is about what you expect from a dive bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment