Thursday, January 24, 2013

Leftover Bonus: Homemade Fried Rice


When I told my dad, the head chef of our family, that I had started a blog with Bethany about cooking he laughed, "What do you know about cooking? You're still wet behind the ears."  Well, that's the whole point, Dad.  We are learning as we go, just like you had to.

I could share many stories about burned pot pies that rattled like tambourines or the garlic bread French toast my father once fed my sister and I for breakfast, but that isn't what drives me into the kitchen every night.  Even though those stories would get me my own Comedy Central show, I would rather spend my energy sharing the good stories about my father's recipes.

Besides making killer Swedish pancakes, homemade french fries, and teriyaki steak, my dad has always been an ace at making rice dishes. One of my favorite recipes is his homemade fried rice and I think I've added some twenty-something touches he would approve of. I hope you saved some of the rice from yesterday's rice and bean dish because you will never look at leftovers the same way.  This is a budget recipe compared to what you would spend at a restaurant or on the frozen, pre-made version.  So put away that take-out menu because you're looking at about 85 cents per serving for this delicious homemade side. 

Dale's Homemade Fried Rice

2 cups, cooked, day-old white rice (freshly cooked rice will turn out gummy)
3/4 cup frozen pea/carrot mix, thawed and drained
2 eggs
2 Tbls soy sauce
3 Tbls vegetable oil

Heat one tablespoon of oil in a wok or frying pan on medium-high heat.  Add eggs and scramble immediately and continue to stir.  Once the eggs are half cooked (1 minute) add rice, vegetables, remaining oil, and soy sauce.  Continually stir for 3-4 minutes until heated through.  Season with additional soy sauce if preferred and serve immediately.  



This recipe is for all the fifty-something parents and cooking mentors who have taught us the tricks of the trade and have spared our egos when we haven't gotten it right.  We offer up our insanely easy recipes and cheap beer in thanks to you! Cheers!

As always, love for all-

Whitney


No comments:

Post a Comment