Thursday, January 3, 2013

Food Financing {Meal Planning}


After two years in the "real world" I have honed the craft of meal planning, or at least I like to think so.  Having lived on my own, with a boyfriend, and now with roommates I have cooked for a variety of appetites and budgets.

How Meal Planning Will Blow Your Mind w/out Blowing Your Budget


In addition to making sure all at the table are satisfied, meal planning eliminates throwing away rotten food.  Wasted and unused food is taxing on the environment and your pocket book. I also HATE going to the grocery store everyday so you are preserving valuable free time for Facebook, imgur, reddit, and Netflix- the twenty-something's essential internet addictions.  Furthermore, meal planning keeps you, your lover, and/or your friends eating well and with variety on a tight budget.  Basically it is a win, win, win.

Being in my mid-twenties leaves me constantly running on caffeine as I balance spending time with friends, figuring out relationships, and trying to make something of myself.  Even though my life has yet to settle into place I know I can control what I eat and take pleasure in a home-cooked meal.  While some of the tips on meal planning that follow are no-brainers my hope is that you will find yourself with a little more stability in your life, better food in your body, and more money in your wallet.


At Home

Plan for 6 Days of Entrees at the Most

The hope is that one night out of seven you will be so popular and in the money that you will be out painting the town.  The reality is, as a true twenty-something, you will most likely be too tired or hungover to cook.  Day 7 is a day of rest so either revert to your college days with a bowl of ramen or nuke some of the delicious and healthy leftovers from your week of meal planning. Don't forget to include breakfast and lunch needs on your meal plan that follow your taste and diet.  

Think of Your Time

Plan your meals in accordance with your time.  In other words, making homemade mushroom ravioli and pesto sauce on a night when you have book club is a stupid idea.  Your ravioli will be rushed and crappy.  You will end up watching Season 1 of Portlandia... for the third time... in your pajamas... while texting your book club pals a big fat lie about having to work late. 

Survey the Refrigerator and the Pantry

You have lettuce that is about to go bad? Make a salad tonight.  You have peppers and onions from last weeks pizza?  Make stir fry or Philly sandwiches on Tuesday.  Always order your meal plan with the most perishable foods being used at the beginning of the week (this includes what is already in the fridge and what is on your list).  Checking for staples that are already in your cupboard such as rice, beans, pasta, sauces, and other items of the sort will save you money at the check-out.







Mix. It. Up.

Don't make two pasta dishes or two rice dishes back-to-back, that is redundant and redundant people are never cool.  Throw in a veggie meal at least once a week because it is good for your body and for your wallet.  Make sure to do a super cheap meal and one or two splurges.  Post about your New York strip or shrimp tacos and no one will ever know you had rice and beans the night before.  This will make you seem more adult than you truly are.  


Coupons Are Your Friend

Look in local mailings and advertisements for store and manufacturers coupons.  If your local grocery store sends out a book of coupons or you come across some directly from the manufacturer USE THEM.  Incorporate these discounted items into your menu and you will save immensely. Coupons are not as bad as TLC would like you to believe. 

Don't Forget the Basics

Coffee, coffee filters, butter, oil, bread, milk, eggs, and most likely booze. 







At the Store


Know Your Stores and Your Seasons

It is always best to know what produce is in season because you don't want to show up to the grocery store to find that you've planned a meal around an ingredient that isn't in stock or possibly of poor quality.  If you live in Minnesota (or any other cold weather climate), like Bethany and I do, you have learned to appreciate not only summer tank tops but summer farmers markets.  When in season know what you can get at the farmers market (cheap, organic, local- enough said) and what you'll have to get at your grocer.  I am also a huge fan of using local meat markets or counters as they often times offer better meats at a similar price. 

Plan Your Route

Even though it is a waste of the backside of paper I ALWAYS rewrite my grocery list in order of the layout of my favorite store.  This keeps me from running to get cucumbers, then ketchup, then cheese, and back to getting cilantro in the produce section.  This also prevents you from making multiple (and often expensive) trips to the grocery store to pick up overlooked items.  

Resist the Urge to Splurge

Hopefully your meal plan and list keep you away from the expensive Doritos, orange drink, and "everything you need for dinner tonight" displays but if you find yourself straying, grab a calculator.  Make priority marks next to essential and inexpensive items on your grocery list and pick these up first. Add the total on the calculator as you go until you reach your budget.  When the calculator says no, it means no.  I learned this trick from my sister and when I was living on my own it kept me from missing those lovely student loan payments.  

Ask for Advice

Grocers, for the most part, know their food.  If you have an ingredient you are not as knowledgeable about ask the produce guy or the lady at the meat counter.  They should be able to give you tips on selection and preparation.  If all else fails, call a friend or family member.  I cannot begin to count the number of times I have called my grandmother or father to help walk me through a simple recipe.  Nothing is worse than spending money on watery pasta or charred pork tenderloin.  Swallow your pride so you can swallow delicious food.  






Don't forget to have fun and enjoy yourself.  Food and cooking are essential to living but it is up to you to make the most of every meal.

Love for all-
Whitney

3 comments:

  1. Here's another shopping list idea that doesn't involve rewriting: I created a template that I use for writing out my shopping list. The left column is for the days of the week and meals for each day. Then I have a column for the different areas in the store (ie: Fruits & Veggies, Meat, Refrigerated Items, Frozen Items, Other/Canned Items, Breads). As I plan each meal, I write the ingredients that I need to buy in the appropriate column. When I'm done, I simply cut the meal list off to put on my fridge for the week. Then my shopping list is already organized by the grocery departments, and I'm ready to shop! Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I have always found that starting my meal plan on Monday never works. I write out the plan on Monday, shop on Tuesday, so my plan runs from Tuesday to Monday. When I used to plan from Monday to Sunday, I would always get to Monday morning freaking out and overwhelmed at the thought of dinner that night. Weekends are always way too busy to plan Monday's meal, so I arrive at Monday with no ambition and no dinner plan. By planning from Tuesday to Monday, I arrive at Monday morning already knowing what's for dinner that night, and I only have to worry about the rest of the week, not that same day. Just another (hopefully) helpful hint from one twenty-something to another :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always go Geek and put your list on Google docs. My boyfriend and I have created a spreadsheet template for groceries (it's a green document sometimes changes here and there), but the other pages are just ingredient lists for our favorite recipes. Let's face it we all repeat. During the week before we go shopping we jointly add to it. Then the day of shopping we print it out (we like to cross off stuff and add when needed). Or you can use the Google docs app on your smart phone to read it.

    ReplyDelete