Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Old Fashioned



I'm not a big whiskey fan myself... but add cherries and sugar and I'm game.  I dedicate this post to my whiskey loving friend Ryan Terry (Beth's husband), as he was my fearless taste tester for this post.

Not a whiskey or bourbon fan like Beth and I? Make one for a friend and educate yourself on this classic drink! You'll be feeling like a Mad Men star in no time!



Bittercube Bitters are handcrafted bitters made in Minnesota and are a great addition to any home bar. I used their Blackstrap flavoring but I would recommend their Cherry Bark Vanilla or Orange bitters for an Old Fashioned or Manhattan.  You can find information on their products and where they are sold here.



Don't let the fancy (and very large) bottle of Crown fool you! Ryan was lucky enough to get this as a Christmas present from Bethany and generously shares the good stuff with me when I visit.

Old Fashioned

History:  

The whiskey Old Fashioned cocktail was first coined by a bartender at a gentleman's club in Louisville, Kentucky in 1881.  The recipe called for spirits, simple syrup (sugar and water), and bitters.  The addition of a lemon or orange twist and maraschino cherry came in the 1930's. The popularity of the drink carried through until the late 1960's. The drink has once again had a resurgence with the growing popularity of whiskey bars and hand crafted spirits.

 

Recipe: 

Dissolve a lump or teaspoon of sugar with a splash of water in a lowball, or Old Fashioned, glass.

Add two dashes of bitters and a lemon twist (the rind removed from a slice of lemon and twisted over the glass to release the aromatic oils from the skin).

Add a cube or two of ice and one jigger (1.5 oz) of whiskey.

Garnish with a maraschino cherry.

 

Notes:   

True Old Fashioned lovers would recommend using a rye or bourbon as opposed to a whiskey.

No comments:

Post a Comment