Friday, February 21, 2014

Juice!


I will be the first to admit that I was a little skeptical to juicing at first. My brother did a juice fast last year for 25 days and he lost 30 pounds; I thought that just did not sound fun. But then recently, I watched the documentary "Fat, sick and nearly dead" and it really opened up my eyes to how great raw juice is for you. 

I have been using my moms juicer for the past month, but I have been doing some research and you can get a really great juicer for a decent price. They range from about $30 to $250, I would say for everyday use you should go with a juicer that would last you long time, but if you are like me and would like to make juice a few times a week then something in the $50-$100 range might be a better choice. Like the NutriBullet  by Magic Bullet, I just got one of these, the major difference is with the NutriBullet it just blends everything all together instead of just pulling the juice from the produce. It is a bit of a different taste, but still just as good for you, if not better because you are getting all the fiber. 

I have really enjoyed this new adventure I have taken with food; it is completely different then anything I have ever done before and I feel great! I love it! The juice tastes great, refreshing and I feel healthier already, plus I am getting more fruit and vegetables in my diet than ever before.



OH! SNAP! dis.juice.be.straight.up.delicious.

2 Apples
1/2 Lemon
1/2 Lime
1 Cucumber 
4 Stalks of kale
Sliver of ginger

Cut the apples into wedges and one by one put them through the juicer. Peel the lemon and lime before you run them through the juicer, the sliver of ginger really adds a nice flavor to each juice. I cut the cucumber into four decent chunks and I run the stalk of kale through the juicer one by one, leaf first. 





Here are some great benefits from the produce in this juice that are fantastic!!

Kale: Prevents bladder, breast, colon, ovary, and prostate cancer! It also is packed full of vitamins and minerals that boost cardiovascular health and detoxify the system.

Spinach: Reduces blood pressure, has the bone building molecule vitamin K.

The juice requires a lot of clean up everytime you're done,  It can be kinda a pain, but it takes less time than cooking a meal all together. On the plus side your house smells amazing after you juice! It smells like a farmers market!

Just imagine all the things you could juice in the summer with the freshest fruits and vegetables and if you purchase a CSA  share you would have awesome new recipes to try all summer! Win, win, win!

Have you ever made your own juice? How did it you like it? What are some of your favorite recipes? Please share them with us!!

Love
-Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment