Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My Twenty-Something Friend {Joy Ebel}

Whitney and I are so thrilled to start this series, My Twenty-Something Friend. When we were first talking about our blog the one thing we kept coming back to was that we wanted this to be a blog about all people our age, what we can learn from each other, and how we can all relate. My Twenty-Something Friend is just that, a place to get to know someone new and take away some of his or her talents. 

 Ladies and gents, I give you Joy Ebel.

-Bethany




 Hi guys! So I work a lot, and I often find myself longing for that day off when I can wake up slow, stay in my comfies, and take my time making a good hot breakfast (instead of grabbing something quick before I run out the door). I have always loved the traditional eggs and potatoes for breakfast. This version has developed through trial over the past few years. I make it often, and it never gets old for me! 





Purple Rosemary-Sage Home-Fries & Eggs In a Basket (a twist on a traditional breakfast)


(Makes 3-4 servings)

3-4 med. purple potatoes. Purple potatoes can be found at most grocery stores/markets. They have more nutritional value than white or red potatoes, and they are really pretty... but any ol' potato will do.
2-3 tsp. olive oil
1 medium to small onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp. sage (fresh or dried)
1/2 tsp. rosemary (fresh or dried)
salt and pepper to taste
crushed red pepper to taste (optional)

4 slices of rye bread 
4 eggs
1/2 tsp or butter or oil
and a cookie cutter or a small glass


Start by washing the potatoes and sticking them in a pot of boiling water for 15 minutes or in a bowl in the microwave for 3-5 minutes (this speeds up the fry time by a whole lot). When the potatoes are doing their thing, take this time to slice up the onions and garlic. I like to have bigger chunks of onion, but diced will work smashingly. 
When the potatoes are done cut them into cubes and set aside (we don’t want them fully cooked, just a little soft).


In a medium to large fry pan heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft. Stir in herbs and spices then add the potatoes. Cook on medium-high, stirring often until you reach desired crispiness (I like mine really crispy so it takes a while).


When the potatoes are cooking get the bread slices and cut out the center. I like to use fun cookie cutters, but a small glass would work just as well. Heat up oil on medium-high, place bead in skillet. Crack 1 egg into the hole of each bread slice, make sure the pan is nice and hot or the egg will not stay in the hole. Cook on both sides. 



Serve it up and enjoy!





peaceandlove- Joy


No comments:

Post a Comment