Thursday, March 14, 2013

Fancy Ramen


You read it right.  Fancy Ramen is the perfect food bridge between your college days and your adult days. Using leftover staples and some inexpensive additional ingredients you can dress up this noodle soup in a flash and for cheap.  



Bethany and I were shopping for one of our cooking extravaganzas and brainstorming ways to save money. Ryan (Beth's husband) mentioned that he was looking for ways to use up the bean sprouts he'd used for stir fry.  I recommended Fancy Ramen, a dish I dreamed up when I was fantisizing about take-out but still learning the ins and outs of bills and stretching a budget. The only ingredient we didn't have were radishes and I've incorporated them into my salads and sandwiches at lunch this week to make sure they don't go to waste.

I don't know about you, but Bethany's pictures of the radishes leave me hopeful for spring...which will not arrive for several weeks here in Minnesnowta.


Fancy Ramen

Serves 1

1 package of Top Ramen (I like Oriental)
1 radish, sliced
1 Tbls of cilantro leaves
1 lime wedge
1/2 a handful of bean sprouts
1 Tbls of green or red onion, sliced
Desired amount of shrimp, chicken, beef, or egg (for added protein; we all know ramen isn't that healthy)

Prepare ramen as directed.  If you choose to add egg to your noodle soup crack the egg open in a separate bowl to avoid shells and add directly to boiling water with almost cooked noodles.  Stir and break until well cooked and combined.

Prepare meat separately. You can slice and fry left over stir fry steak, bake and shred a chicken breast, or cook shrimp in a little olive oil.

Pour ramen into a bowl and top with meat, radish, cilantro, bean sprouts, onion, and a squeeze of lime. Stir in ingredients to warm them.  Add soy sauce or my favorite, Sriracha, for added flavor.




It may not be as authentic as take-out but it is cheaper and still mighty delicious. I hope you enjoy reliving your college days but with a little more class.

Love for all-

Whitney

1 comment:

  1. Neat idea! ... And Bethany, your photos are amazing, as always!! Have you looked into selling stock photos yet? I told Ryan you two should do that on the side.

    Say hi to Ryan!

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete