Monday, September 23, 2013

Refrigerator Pickles


Motivation.  Just typing that word makes me tired.  A few nights ago Bethany showed me some pictures for an upcoming post and we cringed about how little we had done on the blog lately. I have been working 50 hour weeks and Bethany and Ryan have been busy shooting weddings.

Don't get me wrong, I love blogging and I love cooking, but when I have been on my feet for 10 hours with a smile and a good attitude I don't feel like firing up the stove or opening my computer.  To be honest, all I feel like after work is an ice cold beer and a warm shower, sometimes at the same time (also known as a Shower Beer... give it a try, it will change your life).

I spent this last Saturday prepping a meal, one that I actually didn't have the fortune to enjoy but it completely changed my recent attitude towards the kitchen.  It had been a week since I had really cooked anything and I could feel the pride and warmth that comes from preparing a meal for friends come rushing back.

What does this have to do with making refrigerator pickles? Absolutely nothing. I just hope that it is a little motivator to those who find themselves stuck in a rut and avoiding their kitchen.  Finish your shower beer and get back in there, you won't regret it.


Refrigerator Pickles

1 bunch of fresh dill
5 medium or 8 small cucumbers, quartered into spears
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 cups of water
6 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
3 Tbsp kosher salt
1/2 yellow onion, sliced (optional)

Divide crushed garlic, dill, onion, and spears of cucumber among 4 airtight containers.  Combine salt, vinegar, and water.  Pour brine over spears, top with a little extra dill, seal, and refrigerate for 2 days.  Keep refrigerated and enjoy!


This recipe is perfect for twenty-somethings who don't have canning supplies or a lot of time.  The jars of pickles make for great host gifts or additions to the last few barbecues of the fall.  Did I mention that they are insanely inexpensive? It costs about $1 a jar to make especially if you get your ingredients from the local farmer's market.


Much love and cooking,

Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment